Sunday, November 2, 2008

Looking for God by Nancy Ortberg

UPDATE: I put the wrong chapter on this one originally. That's what I get for blogging when I'm tired!

The full title of this book is Looking for God: An unexpected journey through tattoos, tofu & pronouns. I am reading it with my Mom's Heart Ministry small group. It was my intent to blog one chapter per week, as I read the book. However, I didn't get the blog up and rolling as quickly as I had planned, so I will post a chapter per day to get caught up.

Chapter 1: The Problem with Quiet Time

In this chapter, Nancy Ortberg talks about growing up learning that setting aside quiet time every day to spend in prayer with God is vitally important. She speaks of the struggles she had when her life became more and more complex and quiet time seemed harder and harder to find. Then she realized that you don't have to MAKE quiet time, you just have to acknowledge it. When you are at the park watching your kids play... quiet time. When you are driving.. quiet time. She says it is in the little things we see day to day... the things that make our "hearts swell with gratitude" that we are seeing God's work.

My prayer after reading this chapter:

Dear God,
I have always felt closer to you when I am outside. Breathing in Your breath... seeing the amazing beauty You have laid before me. I can feel Your arm across my shoulder and Your love in my heart and soul. Of course, you already know all of that. Amen.

I am making a concious effort to notice God's work in my life. To be thankful for what I have. To not dwell on what I don't have, or what I want.

No comments: