Sunday, November 23, 2008

God's way

Didja ever notice that when you ask God for something, He doesn't give it to you directly? If you ask to win the lottery, you get an unexpected raise at work. If you ask for healing, He gives you a new doctor.

Well, I have been praying for guidance to be less judgemental and more patient with people. I am a pretty patient person when it comes to my family, friends and students. My biggest issue is with other drivers.

Now I am by NO means the perfect driver. I have found myself doing stupid things behind the wheel and then thanking God that I didn't hit someone or get into an accident. But when I am driving and other people do stupid things it just chaps my heiney!

So, now that I have that prayer out there..... for patience. I have been encountering more and more annoying drivers. IKNOW that this is God's way of teaching me to be more patient. Or, the devil's way of trying to suck me in.

Lately when I have gotten upset by a driver, I have said out loud, "Oh no you don't! You are not sucking me in."

Sometimes it helps.

I try to remember that I don't know their story. You just never know when the idiot who barely stopped at the stop sign before pulling out in front of you, is actually a mommy who just got a call that her child got hurt and is on her way to comfort him. Or a son who just got the call that his father is being taken to the hospital. Or the daughter who got the news that her daddy is already gone. Or the daddy who is lost in thought about the baby girl he and his wife lost.

Please add me to your prayers. Pray for my humility. Pray that I learn to be more patient with other drivers. Pray that I judge less, and remember that everyone has their own story.

1 comment:

Ter said...

When Bear was in the hospital, I know I had a lot of near misses, and I couldn't focus on my driving alot. I know how dangerous it was, but I really had no other choice but to be driving. It was the only way I could see him every day, even if I was emotionally withdrawn from the rest of the world. I still am.