Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Man's authority

Matthew 9 begins with Jesus telling the people that the son of man has authority to forgive sins. Does this mean we have authority to forgive EVERYONE'S sins? Or just those who have sinned against us? How cool if we can forgive all sins....

Matthew 9:13 in part says, "... (I do) not come to call the righteous, but sinners." Jesus tells people this when they question why he is dining with sinners. I find that interesting.... He didn't call his followers to dine with Him. He didn't call those full of faith, nor those who already believed in Him. He called sinners. And even though I believe in God and I am full of faith... I am told that I am a sinner. I am told to pray to God and pray to Jesus to forgive my sins here on Earth so that I will be welcomed into the Kingdom of Heaven.

Now I DO this... I talk to God quite often actually and ask Him for guidance and strength. I suppose I should start asking His forgiveness as well.

My bible is a used copy and there is a part highlighted in the passage I read today: Matthew 10: 34-39. This passage talks about how Jesus didn't come to bring peace, but rather to turn families against each other. He says that if we love members of our family more than we love Him, then we are not fit for His blessings.

I would like to think that I love Jesus more than any mortal man... but I just don't know for sure. I think if someone told me to kill my son in the name of Jesus, I couldn't do it. Or to give him up to be sacrificed for Jesus. I can't imagine anyone feeling differently.

I gave up a child to Jesus... but that was not by choice. As first I was pissed. Why me? Why MY child? But as time went on, I came to feel blessed to have been chosen. Chosen to be the mommy of an angel (thus the title of my other blog). But given the choice? I don't think I could do it.

I love Jesus... I'm just not sure I love Him more than anyone else. And that feels OK to me. Perhaps in time that will change.. perhaps I am miscontruing the true meaning of the words... but for now, I'm good with it.

No comments: