Sunday, June 27, 2010

Matthew 3-4

So Jesus was baptized by John, who didn't think he should be baptizing Jesus. He thought Jesus should be baptizing him... but Jesus explained and John ended up baptizing him. Then God sent Jesus on a journey of temptation with the devil. It didn't appear that resisting those temptations was difficult for Jesus... but maybe it was. Maybe after fasting for 40 days, it looked darn good to turn those stones into bread. He could have easily turned those stones to bread and eaten that bread to satisfy his hunger. But his hunger for his father was far greater.

And then... he healed the sick. This is an area that confuses me. Why did He heal the sick then... but not now? He healed anyone who came to him... but that doesn't happen now. Why is that?

Back to temptation... How often are we tempted by the devil? And do we give in? I shamefully have to admit that I do. I think thoughts that I know are from the devil. I am sure I even speak the devil's words. But I try to recognize when this is happening and stop it in it's tracks. I try to take a step back and say a little prayer asking God for strength in my weak time.

I need to do that more. I need to let the word of God flow from my lips MORE than the words of the devil.

No comments: