Saturday, June 26, 2010

A new challenge

My friend, Janette, and I were chatting and we were both complaining about how often satan tries to get into our heads and our hearts. We both admitted that we don't read the Bible as often as we should, and that we obviously have TIME to read the Bible since we were sitting on the computer chatting with each other.

So... a new challenge was born. We don't have a name for it... I guess it's just the Christ challenge. We started right then... right when we were talking about it. The plan is that we will read 1-2 chapters a day and then check in w/ each other on Friday each week to discuss our reading. We decided to start in the New Testament with Matthew (since that is the beginning of the NT).

We also pray before reading... for ourself and for each other... that we will understand the words we are reading. That our hearts will be touched. That we will learn from the words and that we will spread the word of God.

My personal challenge is going to be to blog about my reading. So, here we go...

Matthew 1: 1-2.

After reading today, I realize how truly blessed I am to live in a country where I am free to read and share the word of God. A man spoke at my church recently about his ministry in another country. They have printed Bibles for the people of that country... but the Bibles have to be printed in such a way that they don't LOOK like Bibles. People of that country will be killed for owning/ reading a Bible and for speaking the word of God. And even though, the threat of death is there... the people STILL reach out to God and read His word.

I think about Mary and Joseph. How the angel came to them and spoke to them. Although it is not something I can even begin to imagine... an angel coming and talking to me... it must have been SO difficult for Mary and Joseph to believe what they were hearing and to actually DO what the angel told them to do. Yet they did it... without hesitation.

And here I am freely discussing Christ and His word. How blessed I am. I don't have to run and hide from the King Herods of the world. How difficult it must have been for Joseph and Mary to believe those dreams... to believe that they really were seeing an angel...to follow the angel's directions. To TRUST to do what the angel said to do, and when.

I have the freedom... but do I have the TRUST?

No comments: