Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Matthew 7-8

Enter through the narrow gate and follow the narrow path. The wide gate and broad road lead to destruction. This follows the same meaning as in Matthew 6:19-21 " Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."

If we take the narrow path, we won't have space for material things so we won't be able to store up treasures. For too long of a time, I was storing up treasures. I felt that the more I had, the better a person I was. I couldn't get rid of anything. If I saw something I wanted, I bought it... even if I had no idea where I was going to put it. And I made sure everyone knew that I had gotten something new. Boastful. I look back now and think, "What a shame."

The narrow path allows us to focus more on our destination... to focus more on Jesus and His teachings. By taking this challenge, I think Janette and I are following the narrow path.

I was also struck by Matthew 7: 24-27 that talks about "The Wise and Foolish Builders". When Mike and I got married, one of the readings we chose was about building your marriage on a strong foundation. It talked about how a marriage could withstand just about anything if it were built on a solid foundation. Mike's brother read that reading at our wedding. Afterwards, the priest got up to talk and he said that in the number of years that he had been doing weddings (I can't remember now how many years that was... but I think it was over 20) he had never had a couple choose that particular reading. He said couples always chose the happy and "fluffy" verses... but never the verse that has so much meaning. He said when he saw we had chosen that verse, that he was confident that our marriage was going to last and that it was truly a union made in the Lord's name.

Just like a house built on a solid foundation... it weathers the storms. I pray that this is true about my marriage. My mom and dad would have celebrated their 66th wedding anniversary the year he died. Mike's mom and dad would be celebrating their 43rd I believe it is. I am certain those marriages were not without storms... but they withstood. We have big shoes to fill.

I need prayers as well... prayers that I will not judge others. I have such strong opinions, and am not afraid to keep them to myself. It is difficult when listening to others judge to not jump in w/ my own opinions. Lord, help me to not be judgemental.

Let's go and follow the narrow path.

No comments: